28.9.08

The Road to Banff

Week one of my associateship at the Banff Centre went by quickly, although it already feels like I have been here for quite some time.  I have met artists, musicians, sound engineers, and all sorts of others from around the world.  Coming to this new place, I fell into routine mode to deal with the transition - practicing and swimming every day.  However, I have also adapted to the pace of the place, and find myself able to relax through long days.  We are learning our way around the studios, and around Banff in general.  One of my highlights has been playing Catherine Thompson's homemade instruments.  She made a Kora out of a gourd, deer skin (which she tanned herself), wood, and other organic materials.  It is a west-african instrument, with many strings, played like a harp with both hands.  It has the power to transport you to another world.  When playing the instrument, time seems to not pass, and I do not know if I have played for minutes or hours.  
On Friday and Saturday nights I checked out the Aboriginal Art Department's presentation of "Songs above the Treeline," a performance of  music from First Nation, Metis, and other Native Canadian groups.  The most striking was Tanya Tagaq's use of acoustic instruments, throat singing, and contemporary computer electronics and sound manipulation to create a collage of ancient and futuristic sounds.
I live in the Rocky Mountain Housing Co-Op, and my walk to the Banff Centre is around 20 minutes.  On the way I see (photos by my roommate LJ from Holland):

A bridge


Mountains












Wildlife









The Historic Banff Springs Hotel


Today we have a seminar with mastering engineer Andres Mayo from Buenos Aires.  He just recently produced a highly successful Tango DVD box set.  Later this week I will be recording two concerts:  The Saint Lawrence String Quartet on Thursday, and the Music Residency Concert Series on Friday, both in Rolston Hall.  
Some gig opportunities have come up so my playing chops will stick with me.  The library here has many scores for me to check out.  I am also practicing drums with a book, helping me read rhythms and coordinate the separation of my limbs.  I mostly practice in Telus studio.  
I am still wrapping my head around the control room, but I am beginning to understand the console, and I have been able to pull up outboard Eq, compression, and reverb.
Yesterday I went on a hike to Lake Morraine (very close to Lake Louise).  We saw a bear on our hike from Lake Morraine to the Consolation Lakes.  
We had a picnic lunch on the rocks.  The mountains here are tremendous.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am thrilled to experience your new journey through the photos and your thoughts. It seems like this is a different pace of life, and a well-deserved resbite eventhough you are busy. Hearing about this makes me very happy. Mum

Dad said...

What a beautiful part of the world!! It must be easy to become spiritual when you combine your music with those vistas. Keep the updates coming. We are keeping a close eye on you from both sides of the 49th parallel!
Don't forget what I told you about the bears.
Make big noise.
-Love always. -Dad

Dad said...

I just got in from scuba diving out front in Plymouth. We got a bunch of lobsters!! I thought they were done. Bet you don't find many of them in the Canadian Rockies!! Is there snow on the ground yet? You'll be boarding before too long. Where is your other roommate from? I'll have to pack up your gear and send it up to you. -LAD