6.2.09

Making it happen in Montreal

I moved to Montreal 3 weeks ago, and so far I am enjoying my time, and discovering many things about this city.  I has been frigid out, but that hasn't stopped me from going out on the scene.  I have played at the weekly jam sessions at Grumpy's, and Diese Onze, and I have been hosting a weekly monday jazz jam at L'Escalier.  The Kalmunity collective rocks urban beats and slam poetry every tuesday night in my neighborhood.  It reminds me of What The Fuck Jam Session in Barcelona.  Monday thru Thursday mornings, I attend a French class (free, thank you Quebec!), and I have been pursuing every avenue and door that I find.  

The Blaze keeps me posted on his performances.  I listened to him play at Upstairs with the Malcolm Sailor Quartet, and tonight I will see him playing with Tune-Yards at Il Motore.  I also attended the Turtle Boy CD release party (I live with their drummer!), and have been setting up sessions with many of the folks I have met.  My friend Andy is building a recording studio close to me with ProTools HD and a grand piano.  What more do you need?  It is an exciting project, and I look forward to seeing and hearing how things turn out in the coming months.  

Last Friday I played some dirty funk at a "mustache" party.  See handlebars-and-patch above.  I am starting my own project.  I am envisioning some instrumental dance music - Fela Kuti, Cachao, Skatalites, Jorge Ben, Piazzolla, and a rocking version of Danses Des Petits Cygnes from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake (bring the ballet into the bar!).  Instrumentation?  

So much has happened in such a small amount of time.  I am still figuring many things out, but I take it day by day.  In the same week, I drank the most amazing coffee, and ate the best bagel I have ever had.  It has been pretty amazing to be in Canada watching the American political and economic situation.  Are you guys alright down there?

No comments: